Truck drivers must follow all rules of the road, as well as state and national laws that the Federal Motor Carrier and Safety Administration (FMCSA) imposes. When a careless truck driver causes an accident, the impact of the crash can be devastating.
If you or a loved one was injured in a truck accident, a Kentucky truck accident lawyer with Issacs & Issacs Personal Injury Lawyers can help you hold the liable party accountable for their negligence. We will seek compensation for your losses while you heal from your injuries. Our legal aid comes at no out-of-pocket cost to you.
You Can Seek Compensation After a Truck Accident in Kentucky
If you’ve been injured in a truck accident, you may be entitled to seek damages for:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost income
- Lost future earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Mental anguish
- Property damage
If your family member passed away from their truck accident injuries, you can recover wrongful death compensation. These damages may address funeral bills and medical care costs in addition to your loss of consortium, services, and/or financial support.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving Kentucky, call 800-800-8888
Filing a Case for Damages After a Kentucky Truck Collision
In a truck accident case, our lawyers may start the legal process by filing a truck accident claim against the insurance company. However, we may have grounds to file a personal injury lawsuit in some cases. Still, the process for both types of action usually entails:
- Discovery, which is the collection and investigation of the evidence
- Delivery of the injury demand letter
- Negotiation of a settlement
- Going to trial by judge and/or jury when negotiations fail
You may struggle to handle each of these tasks on your own, especially if this is your first time in a traffic accident. Consider hiring one of our personal injury lawyers to represent you. They can lead your case from start to finish while completing these responsibilities for you:
- Collecting the crash report, related photographs, traffic camera video, your medical bills and records, and statements from eyewitnesses to create an evidence file
- Determining who acted negligently and caused the truck accident
- Calculating your economic and non-economic damages
- Managing the back-and-forth between you and the other party’s insurance and legal representatives
- Negotiating a fair settlement
- Arguing your case in a trial, if we cannot agree on a settlement amount
We will offer our legal help for a contingency fee, so there is no requirement to pay us up front, hourly, or out of pocket. Your attorney will only be paid if they win compensation for you. You risk almost nothing financially to hire us to go to work for you.
Kentucky Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-800-8888
You Are Given Limited Time to File a Truck Accident Lawsuit in Kentucky
With regard to car wrecks in Kentucky, KRS 304.39-060(6) generally extends the statute of limitations to two years from the date of wreck or date of last PIP or No Fault payment.
In any case, we recommend that you get started soon to comply with the time limit. Otherwise, you may run out of options for compensation.
What Are the Steps You Should Take After a Truck Accident?
If you’ve been involved in a collision with a large truck or commercial vehicle, you’ll need to protect yourself physically and legally. Here are the most critical steps to take after a truck crash:
- Stay at the scene of the collision when possible.
- Call 9-1-1 for emergency services.
- Check other vehicles for injuries if possible.
- Take photos, capture videos, and record audio of evidence.
- Exchange contact info, insurance details, driver’s license number, and vehicle info with other drivers.
- Don’t make any statements about the crash.
- Get your case evaluated by a lawyer.
- Follow all medical advice & attend all doctor appointments.
- Report the accident to the police, DMV, or other authority.
- Begin legal action by hiring an attorney – timing is critical.
For more details, you can check out our firm’s podcast here.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Our Kentucky Law Firm Handles Truck Accident Cases
At Isaacs and Isaacs, we handle cases involving collisions with:
- Concrete trucks
- Construction vehicles
- Coal trucks
- Dump trucks
- Garbage trucks
- Logging trucks
- Moving vans
- Steel trucks
- Tanker trucks
- Tow trucks
Many of these accidents stem from bad road conditions, maintenance issues, brake failure, driving under the influence, distracted driving, failure to yield, and improperly backing up.
What Are the Most Common Types of Truck Accident Cases?
Semi-trucks, buses, delivery vans, tractor-trailers, and fuel trucks are among the most common commercial vehicles involved in truck accident lawsuits.
Those injured as a result of a big rig collision can seek compensation by claiming that negligence led to their injuries. This negligence could be attributed to the truck driver and/or the trucking company.
How does Vehicle Maintenance Affect Truck Accidents?
Commercial trucks are required to uphold compliance with federal maintenance standards enforced by the FMCSA. This organization regulates commercial truck safety.
Nonetheless, common carriers can and do sometimes evade or ignore federal law in order to save money. As a result, accidents involving truck maintenance issues occur.
Some common maintenance issues that affect trucking safety and collisions include:
- Tow hitch defects
- Lack of inspections
- Unsecured loads
When Is a Commercial Vehicle Driver Considered Negligent?
Negligence occurs when there is a failure to exercise reasonable care in one’s actions, and as a result, someone is injured. For a commercial vehicle driver to be found negligent, we will need to show that they:
- Owed you a duty of ordinary care
- Breached that duty of ordinary care
- The breach of that duty of care caused injury or harm to you
- The harm caused financial losses
The same standards apply when a trucking company, a parts manufacturer, the cargo company, or a government agency was negligent and contributed to the truck accident.
Getting Help from Issacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers After a Truck Crash
Our law firm has been championing accident cases since 1993. During that time, we have won over $2 billion in settlements and verdicts for our clients. Some of our truck accident case outcomes include:
- $10 million for a man who was struck head-on by a semi-truck that crossed the center line on an interstate
- $3.65 million for a woman who suffered a traumatic brain injury (which caused a several week-long coma) and severe neck injuries after a semi-truck pulled out in front of her
- $2.7 million for a woman who suffered elbow and knee dislocation, loss of consciousness on impact, and multiple fractures after she was ejected when a commercial pickup truck driver hit her
- $2.525 million for a woman who was rear-ended by a tanker truck driver, which launched her into the rear undercarriage of the semi-truck in front of her. As a result, she broke her back, legs, and several ribs.
These outcomes are just a handful of our successes. We will personalize our approach for your case so you can seek the financial award you need. Look at what one of our former clients said about working with our team:
“They’re great to me. Used them twice and positive results both times. I wouldn’t hesitate to contact them again if needed.”
From: Sandra Root
Start Working on Your Kentucky Truck Accident Case with Our Firm Today
Managing a case is hard enough, but going up against commercial truck insurance companies makes the legal process even more daunting. Our lawyers have worked for insurers before and know the different tactics they employ, so allow us to handle all correspondence with them for you. We will work to ensure you are fairly compensated for your damages.
Call Issacs & Issacs Personal Injury Lawyers today at 1-800-800-8888. The first consultation is free, and there is no obligation.